Wednesday, December 5, 2012

9 weeks & 4 days old!

Dear Auntie Sandy bought Coda a puppy shower gift today... A frog with nine squeakers in! It's called a squeaker mat! He's going to LOVE it! Yesterday I went shopping at Target and bought some puppy teething toys, small squeaking balls, an Orbee apple for stuffing, chicken basted rawhide strips, little bone treats and dentix sticks for clean teeth. This is one dog who is going to be spoiled for toys :)
Coda is the smartest puppy ever! & of course I am slightly biased! We have begun working on early training of basic commands... Sit, lie down, off and his name. Sit and lie down are going brilliantly! He has them nailed. For his name I am rewarding him when he looks at me when I say his name. Off is to get him to let go of something or not touch and he is getting the right idea. Of course, he doesn't listen when he's biting my ear etc. The new clickers I got are so much better than the metal ones and they are very effective in the training. Right now I am feeding him a lot of his daily food intake by hand when training and he chows it down...
We've put up a pen in the garden for him to do his business in but he keeps escaping... So I rearranged the fence pieces to make the gaps smaller and of course he can find the one gap he can fit through :) I've not been making enough fuss when he does his business outside and consequently he is just as happy to do it on his peepads. sandy reminded me today to use the clicker and a treat when he goes outside and he will come to want to do it outside! We hope...
The time is coming next week when we have to go to the vet for the next round of shots. There is the Hampden pet health place run by the SPCA but they have limited hours... We liked Timonium Animal Hospital when we had Guinness put down but I've read lots of bad reviews online about them... Antonella recommends Pikesville Animal Hospital but that is quite a distance away, but it would be a good choice if I liked the vet... Decisions!



No comments:

Post a Comment