Saturday, March 23, 2013

Puppy development... Oh boy!

Coda seems to have entered a new "phase"! This seems to describe it well...

Flight Instinct Period-4 to 8 months
"Seems to forget everything previously learned."
- "How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With"

This stage can last from a few days to several weeks and can occur anytime during this period.
A puppy will test its wings.
He may not come when called.
He may not play fetch even though he once did.
He will be uncomfortable because his adult teeth are growing in.
Even if you have done your homework it does not mean your puppy won't go through this - just be aware of it and ride it out.
When you notice a change in your dog during this time, he is probably going through his "flight instinct" period. Like a teenager going through puberty, your puppy is changing physiologically. Your awareness of these changes in behavior will help get you through this commonly difficult period.

Coda is definitely trying to test the boundaries... Lots more barking, not wanting to play with toys but wanting to chew the sofa, not coming when called because he wants to do the "chase me around the kitchen island" game and so much energy! A total "cracker dog".

My new dog clippers arrived yesterday and I tried them out on Coda last night. I got the Wahl Bravura clippers and they are very quiet. I've begun on his legs and with the biggest comb it is taking off a lot. I think I might have put the adjustable blade on the wrong setting!

Our morning walks up on Falls Road are going really well! Coda is doing great at walking past people with minimal reactivity. He does best when I don't pay any attention to people or dogs and I keep giving him lots of treats as distraction. There is much less barking now.

I've added come into our walks so that when he gets out in front of me when we are walking I say "come" and he will often come trotting back. We began getting Coda to ring a bell with his paw this week and he is learning it slowly. Eventually I want him to ring a bell when he wants to go outside. I've also been encouraging him to sit in his kennel calmly with the door open by giving him treats there.

We were supposed to have a puppy date last Tuesday with Vella and Abigail in Monkon but unfortunately we were rained out. We are now hoping to do Monday. We also have scheduled one with Antonella, Simona and Luna for Easter Sunday :) Our intermediate class at Petsmart begins on April 7th...










No comments:

Post a Comment